With the onset of puberty, teenagers have to face the bitter truth of acne formation. In rare instances, acne can limit the activities of teenagers making them isolated from friends and societies as well severely hamper their self-esteem and confidence levels. Therefore, it is very much important for the parents and teenagers to understand the causes and treatment of acne in teenagers.
Causes of Acne in Teenagers
Acne is one of the most common problems in tens and they usually appear on face, sometimes they can also appear on shoulders, back and on the buttocks. Acne is a typical form of spots, painful bumps or papules that are mostly red in color and visible too often on face.
Hormones do play an important role in acne formation, because with puberty hormone level are subsequently triggered. These elevated hormone levels stimulate the sebaceous or oil glands underlying the skin in developing oily skin that is more prone to form pores blockages and break outs.
In addition, it is also noted that poor eating habits, stress, sleep problems and unhygienic behavior can also led to acne formation in teens.
Treating Acne in Teenagers
- It is found out that teenagers have tendency to try different over the counter drugs, medications, creams, ointments and lotions for treating acne. While doing so they do not consider the instructions provided to use the products making their acne problem even worse.
- It is important that teenagers understand the cause of their acne formation and use subsequent products that have targeted action to combat acne problems for the exact reason they are appearing.
- Products rich in antioxidants, moisturizing base, zinc oxide, Alpha Hydroxy Acids and Retinol are said to be more effective for treating acne in teenagers.
- As far as possible, they should adopt healthy eating habits with fresh vegetables, fruits and food that is rich in Vitamins A, C and E as well food that provides increased amount of antioxidants. Antioxidants are necessary to fight acne as they have tendency to fight against free radicals that usually cause acne related problems. In addition drinking lot of water helps to improve the effectiveness of anti acne products as they hydrate the skin in better manner.
- Adopting hygienic lifestyle is another way to combat acne in teenagers as it helps to stay clean and eradicate further formation of acne.
- Using face cleansers on regular basis as well using soaps that are completely oil free is one of the best remedies to reduce acne formation. Often soap contains harsh chemicals that increase skin dryness and possibilities of acne infection so it is important that teenagers stay away from such soaps.